Carolina Forest, S.C.
Carolina Forest is a master-planned community with numerous residential neighborhoods and commercial developments.
Located north of U.S. 501 between Myrtle Beach and Conway to the Intracoastal Waterway, this 25-square-mile area is home to more than 35,000 residents and a considerably higher number of pine trees and hardwood forests. Future plans call for as many as 35,000 residents, and plans to incorporate are already underway.
Carolina Forest falls under the police and fire jurisdiction of Horry County, and the Horry County Council is the governing body.
A growing business district features strip malls of national, regional and local retailers, and the Carolina Forest community has its own public schools, K-12, within the neighborhood.
Golf courses, community and recreation centers and churches also have sprung up to accommodate the growing population.
New roads have made Carolina Forest more accessible, including International Drive, an extension of Robert Grissom Parkway that provides direct access to Myrtle Beach, and River Oaks Drive, which runs west and parallel of the Intracoastal Waterway. Carolina Forest Boulevard extends from River Oaks to Highway 501, and plans to expand and widen the two-lane road are already under way.
Nearly half of the total area has been set aside for conservation.
About the area
- Population: 21,000 (approx.)
- Average Home Cost: $174,479 (includes only single-family homes and condo units)
- Government Information: Horry County Government, 1301 2nd Ave., Conway, SC, 29528, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582
- Contact: (843) 915-5020 or www.horrycounty.org
- Schools: Carolina Forest Elementary (Excellent), Ocean Bays Elementary (Excellent), Carolina Forest Middle (Excellent), Blackwater Middle (Good), Ocean Bays Middle (Excellent), Carolina Forest High (Good); Private: Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach (K-12)
Taking a closer look at one of the most popular communities in the Myrtle Beach area:
One of the most popular and fastest growing neighborhoods in Carolina Forest is known simply as The Farm, a countryside-themed development with a mix of single-family and multi-family dwellings.
The colonial-style homes are primarily three- to four-bedroom layouts with a variety of floor plans.
The property has a swimming pool, fitness center and clubhouse for use by residents. The development continues to grow toward the back entrance on International Drive.