Four factors to consider when choosing a Myrtle Beach hotel
With so many hotels to choose from, how do you decide where to stay in Myrtle Beach? It's an overwhelming task, to be sure. But several factors can help you narrow down your selection to the perfect Myrtle Beach hotel for your vacation. Consider these:
The key to your Myrtle Beach vacation happiness may just be: location, location, location. Many Myrtle Beach visitors say they don’t care where they stay as long as they’re on the oceanfront. That logic works for us, but if you’re choosier about your location, here are some things to consider:
- Do you want to be near any major attractions such as the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, Broadway at the Beach or Barefoot Landing? Decide if there is an attraction you want to be near, and start your search from there.
- Do you have a preference between the South Strand (Surfside Beach, Garden City), the city of Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach? The southern beaches are typically quieter and offer more vacation rentals and homes than high-rises. Myrtle Beach is home to the Boardwalk, Broadway at the Beach and other major attractions. Many repeat visitors are loyal fans of North Myrtle Beach with its Main Street festivals and broad family appeal. As you visit Myrtle Beach again and again — which we know you will — you’ll have a favorite spot in mind. If you’re a first-timer, know that you really can’t go wrong no matter which area you choose.
- Is oceanfront a must-have? Check before you book to make sure that a room labeled “ocean view” is indeed on the ocean and not across the street. Most Myrtle Beach-area hotels are on the ocean, but if you want to be away from the beach, you can find many appealing options near Broadway or Barefoot or even at the Grande Dunes marina on the Intracoastal Waterway.
Of course you won’t be spending most of your time at the beach in your hotel, but don’t overlook the importance of amenities for when you need to kick back and relax. Use the filter on our hotels page to find hotels with the amenities you’re looking for. Consider these:
- Outdoor pools: Most Myrtle Beach-area hotels have at least one outdoor pool, but many have numerous pools and water features. If you’re traveling with children, look for hotels with great water features. You’ll need a break from the sand, and your hotel’s pool can be an inexpensive respite from your hectic vacation.
- Indoor pools: If you’re traveling during the cooler months, check to see if your hotel has an indoor pool. It’s a nice way to get a few laps in or keep the kids occupied on a cool, breezy day at the beach. A late-night swim indoors can also be a great way to unwind (aka wear the kids out) after a busy day in the sun.
- On-site dining: Dining at a restaurant or even poolside bar at your hotel can be a time-saver and stress reducer. No loading up the car or navigating through traffic, no changing out of sandy, wet clothes just to grab a burger. You’ll want to venture out to explore some of the great restaurants in Myrtle Beach at some point, but it’s nice to not have to do it for every meal.
- Children’s programs: If you’re traveling with young children, some grownup R&R may be in order. Many Myrtle Beach hotels offer summertime children's programs free of charge to their guests. They include activities, games and fun for the kids while Mom and Dad take a break.
- On-site spa: Looking for a little extra pampering and relaxation on your trip? Many Myrtle Beach hotels have on-site spas offering massages, couples massage, nail treatments and more. If a spa would be the perfect addition to your beach trip, find a hotel with one on site.
With any vacation decision, price is usually a key consideration. You can search for hotels by price on our hotels page, but keep in mind a few factors that influence price:
- Time of year: Prices fluctuate considerably depending on the season you’re looking to visit. Spring and summer months are busiest, and, therefore, more expensive. If you are flexible with travel dates, consider an off-season trip to save money.
- Room types: When you’re sorting hotels by price, keep in mind that you may be comparing prices on different room types. For example, one property may show a higher rate because their room is a 3-bedroom suite while another lower rate may be for a one-bedroom studio. Explore the properties you’re interested in, and put the rates into perspective before making a decision.
Vacationers overwhelmingly believe in the power of honest, candid reviews from fellow travelers. And so do we. Check out what other visitors have had to say about Myrtle Beach properties on our hotels page. Be sure to leave your own feedback after your trip, as well! If you’ve stayed at any of our Myrtle Beach partner hotels, you can leave your own review by clicking on the review icon for the property on our hotels page. You feedback can help future guests make their travel decisions. A few tips for getting the most out of reviews:
- Look beyond just the ratings. Be sure to read the customers' comments as well. Something that would lead one reviewer to rate a hotel poorly might be something that wouldn't bother you. For example, a customer may give a hotel a low rating because the indoor pool was too small. If you don't care about a large indoor pool, that low rating doesn't mean so much to you.
- Consider that a review is based on one person's experience. Often times, a frustrating incident during a vacation can lead to an understandably negative review. However, you may be unlikely to have the same experience. For example, a raucous party in the room next door may send a visitor on a tirade in a review, but as long as the rowdy neighbors eventually go home, the problem is solved.
- Pay attention to the time of year of the review, and look for reviews made during the months you'll be visiting. They'll give you the best idea of what to expect during your stay. The busy spring and summer months might feature complaints of a crowded pool or a long wait for the elevator, but you won't have those problems if you're visiting in November.
- Check for response. If a hotel responds to reviews -- both positive and negative -- publicly, it's a good indication that they're listening to and care about what their guests have to say.
- Consider the age of the review. Most Myrtle Beach-area hotels do listen to visitor feedback and make adjustments and improvements based on them. If you see a negative review from two years ago but positive reviews more recently, you can assume the problems have been fixed.
Are there other factors you consider when booking a hotel? Comment below to tell us what is most important to you. Put these tips to use at MyrtleBeach.com/hotels! Begin your search for your perfect hotel today!
Sea Watch Resort Myrtle BeachMilitary DiscountWe would like to thank our active and retired military service men & women by providing a Military Discount, an extra 5% off our Best Available Rates.People Have Claimed this DealSeaWatchResort.com
Vacation Myrtle BeachGroup Travel & ConferencesLearn more about hosting your next group or meeting at one of our oceanfront resorts. Choose from oceanfront options, outdoor venues and more!People Have Claimed this DealVMBGroups.com
The Caravelle Resort Myrtle BeachGolf Package - Save BIG!The Founders Group Rewards Package includes four rounds and a $100 gift card to use at select course pro shops!People Have Claimed this DealTheCaravelle.com
North Beach Plantation Myrtle Beach25% Off Winter LuxuryBook now and save up to 25% off in our beautiful and spacious cottages. Valid now - 3/09/17.People Have Claimed this Dealwww.northbeachrentals.com
Dayton House Resort Myrtle Beach35% Savings + BreakfastSave up to 35% off + 2 free breakfasts daily on Winter escapes to the beach. Valid now - 3/9/17.People Have Claimed this Dealwww.daytonhouse.com
Long Bay Resort Myrtle BeachWinter Sale 35% + breakfastSave up to 35% off + 2 free breakfasts daily on Winter escapes to the beach. Valid now - 3/9/17.People Have Claimed this Dealwww.longbayresort.com
Vacation Myrtle BeachGolf Package - With Extras!Book the Prime Time Rewards Package to select four rounds from nearly 20 premier Myrtle Beach area golf courses!People Have Claimed this DealVacationMyrtleBeach.com
Breakers Resort Myrtle Beach35% Off Winter StaysEscape the cold for the beach this Winter. Save up to 35% off. Valid now - 3/9/17.People Have Claimed this Dealwww.breakers.com
Avista Resort North Myrtle BeachRates starting at just $59One bedroom oceanfront condos starting at $59 for November 17 - 20, 2016. Weekend and holiday surcharges apply. Some restrictions apply.People Have Claimed this Dealwww.AvistaResort.com
Vacation Myrtle BeachSnowbird Monthly SpecialsBook your month-long snowbird winter stay in Myrtle Beach today! Accommodations range from studios to four bedrooms.People Have Claimed this DealVacationMyrtleBeach.com
Find a hotel
Compare hotels in Myrtle Beach, book direct, and save by beginning your search below:
See what's up in Myrtle Beach and follow us for updates @officialmyrtlebeach on Instagram.
Sign Up Today!
Get great hotel deals, valuable coupons, news & information on the Myrtle Beach area:
Myrtle Beach Area Videos
Check out our latest footage from Myrtle Beach hotels and places around town:
Check out the latest photos from Myrtle Beach attractions and events around town: